I'm thanking my lucky stars, God and my Son in law, that this story has a happy ending! During a phone conversation with my Daughter today, she told me about the near crisis with my Granddaughter. She hadn't called me last night, because she knew it would upset me. She would certainly be correct!
These are the parenting moments, every parent dreads. Unfortunately, they happen.
I asked her to type it out and include a picture. She has. I'm sure she is much calmer today, than she was last night! I can guarantee it!
In her words...
Since we have had our son (10 weeks ago) we spend many evenings out on our back porch. He loves it outside even though its hotter than hell-o out there. We get our fan kickin' and the bouncy chair on and sit out for hours while watering the garden and catching up with the hubby's latest shenanigans at his job. Our daughter, who is 6, goes in and out about 105 times getting toys, just going back and forth from her outdoor fort to her bedroom.
In the middle of our evening, about 8:05, I hear a (weak) cry coming from in the house followed by my daughter appearing at the glass doors. She's trying frantically to get our attention and her hands are at her throat! I immediately scream to my husband, "SHE'S CHOKING, SHE'S CHOKING, SHE'S CHOKING!!!!!" My Husband flings the door open, swings her around backwards and wraps his arms around her. With one Heimlich maneuver I hear something metal chime on the concrete.
She had put a large star-shaped charm in her mouth and it slid down her throat. Talk about going from one mood to the next! I went from tears, to screaming. I told her, "You know better than to put anything in your mouth other than food!" I made her promise me that she will never do that again and held her in my lap for a good 10 minutes, sobbing.
After she calmed down, she went back inside. My husband made matters worse by telling me we were within seconds of calling 911 and a tracheotomy performed, right here on the porch.
Thanks for making me think about how terrible it could have been...JEEZ!
I sure could have used a stiff drink after that!